Unless you are a blackjack adventurer, many questions exist regarding the efficient practice of this game. It literally translates to "black jack", and it is an online casino game that has nuances as diverse as the variants it offers. These said nuances concern both winning strategies and the rules of the game. In numerous physical casinos around the world as well as on online casinos, blackjack is the main attraction for fans and even gambling enthusiasts. This guide will present it in as exhaustive a manner as possible, from its origins to the various ways of playing and winning.
- 1What are the origins of the game of blackjack?
- 2What is blackjack?
- 3What are the rules of blackjack?
- 4How important is 21?
- 5How is a game of blackjack played?
- 6Possible actions in blackjack according to the rules
- 7What does a blackjack table look like?
- 8Blackjack payouts
- 9Blackjack tournaments
- 10blackjack card counting
What are the origins of the game of blackjack?
The very first version of blackjack included the following elements: a player opposed to a dealer, a set of cards, and a winner based on the numerical value of those cards. It is a game originating from Spain and its original name was '31'. The famous writer Miguel de Cervantes, better known as… Don Quixote He mentioned this game in his work entitled Rinconete and Cortadillo, published in 1613, along with twelve other stories. Writings dating back to 1440 also allude to a game of chance called '31', although there were others with the same name but no direct connection.
A version of blackjack was played in England in the 17 th century as Bone Ace. In this variant which was presented in the work The Complaet Gamester of Charles Cotton, an Ace has a value of 1 or 11., blackjack was practiced under the name of '15' since the 16 th century. But it is only from the 19 th century that it gained popularity. In Italy, on the other hand, at the beginning of the 17 th In the seventeenth century, a card game called Sette e Mezzo, which means seven and a half in French, was very popular. Here, 40 cards were used, with the exception of the 8, 9, and 10, the other cards corresponding to their numerical value. Each face card had a value of half.
A French variant of blackjack called Trente-et-quarante (30 and 40) was particularly popular in Belgium, Spa Casino th century. th century. Prominent figures promoted it in the late 1700s, such as Napoléon Bonaparte or Madame Du Barry.
As far as the United States is concerned, it is only in the 19 th siècle, il était courant que les joueurs se rendaient à l'endroit où se trouvait un croupier pour jouer au blackjack. Le jeu était déjà populaire et excitant, mais il était rendu encore plus intéressant par l'introduction de deux règles en faveur des joueurs. À partir de ce moment-là, les joueurs avaient la possibilité de voir une des cartes du croupier et de demander une autre carte s'ils avaient un total de 16 ou moins, ou de rester avec un total de 17 ou plus. Cette variation du jeu ajoutait une nouvelle stratégie et augmentait l'excitation autour du blackjack. th In the 17th century, the game was renamed blackjack, due to a promotional campaign offering a bonus when a player hit 21 with a jack of clubs or spades and an ace of spades.
What is blackjack?
le joueur doit obtenir une main de cartes dont la somme est aussi proche que possible de 21, sans la dépasser. Chaque joueur reçoit deux cartes initiales et peut décider de demander des cartes supplémentaires pour améliorer sa main. Cependant, si la somme des cartes dépasse 21, le joueur perd automatiquement la partie. La banque, quant à elle, suit des règles spécifiques et n'a pas la possibilité de prendre des décisions. Le blackjack est un jeu de hasard qui nécessite également une certaine stratégie de jeu. Les joueurs doivent prendre en compte les cartes déjà distribuées et les cartes apparentes du croupier pour prendre des décisions éclairées. De plus, certaines variantes du jeu permettent aux joueurs de doubler leur mise ou de se séparer en deux mains distinctes. Le blackjack est l'un des jeux de cartes les plus populaires et est présent dans de nombreux casinos à travers le monde. Il offre une combinaison unique d'excitation et de suspense, car les joueurs espèrent obtenir la combinaison parfaite de cartes pour vaincre la banque. he must roll 21 or at least a number closer to 21 than the dealer The particularity of this game is that its rules are rather easy to assimilate. Three options are necessary to win a game of blackjack. Either obtain a total higher than the dealer's, or obtain a total of 21 from a natural composed of an ace and face cards, or finally the dealer goes beyond the sum of 21 (bust), which will automatically allow you to win the game, provided that you have a result not exceeding 21 points.
In blackjack, winnings depend on the variant, the location where you play, and the type of bet placed. There can be a huge difference between your winnings online and those obtained in a physical casino. That's why it's important to independently familiarize yourself with how each of these versions works.
What are the rules of blackjack?
There is a major rule to master when engaging in a game of blackjack: it is necessary to know for certain the number of points attributed to each type of card. These numbers range from 2 to 11, and the color, red or black, has no value here. It is therefore imperative to take the time to memorize the value of each card. The numbered card has a value ranging from 2 to 10 according to the number mentioned on it; the face cards are represented by the king, queen, or jack and have a value of 10 points; the value of the Ace is 1 or 11, depending on the value given to it by the player. Feel free to consult the rules. blackjack rules written in the section dedicated to the rules on our website for even more subtleties.
How important is 21?
According to the instructions, the best possible game is the one that lines up an ace and a face card , or a 10 thanks to which you obtain a natural with 2 cards for a total of 21 points. In this way, you are rewarded with a gain corresponding to one and a half times your bet. In the case where you do not obtain a natural, you must content yourself with adding up the values of all the cards you have received. Thus, you will have the score of the dealer's hand, as well as yours, which will allow you to make an informed decision:
- The rigid hand, also called hard hand, occurs when a player has 2 or more cards, including an Ace with a value of 1;
- The soft hand or simple hand, or even soft hand in English, designates a hand composed of an Ace having a value of 11 according to the rules of blackjack.
How is a game of blackjack played?
Understanding the course of a blackjack game requires first knowing the different stages of the game:
- First and before each move, participants place their bets;
- The dealer then proceeds to deal cards to each player, including one face-up card for himself. He will then proceed to a second face-up distribution to the players and give himself a face-down card.
- The dealer asks each participant to indicate whether they want to have additional cards or if they want to initiate a new action based on the bank's card or their score.
- As soon as each player has received their due, the dealer takes their turn. As long as their total is less than 17, they can draw cards. If they exceed 21, all other participants win. Between 17 and 21, participants with a higher total than the dealer win. A player who is tied with the dealer can retrieve their bet.
- The parity between a participant and the bank is an event that does not happen frequently. However, once their bet is refunded, the player can play it again if they deem it necessary in the same way as if the round had not been played.
Mastering the stages of a game of blackjack on the first try is not obvious, but a beginner player can choose to familiarize themselves with the game instructions by playing without wagering real money.
Possible actions in blackjack according to the rules
During a game of blackjack, players can take certain actions to keep the game interesting . These actions are a function of their hand, but also that of the dealer. They are divided into general actions and specific actions.
On all variants of blackjack, you will come across so-called general actions that you will necessarily have to master. There are three types of general actions:
- hit Are you in possession of your two cards, but do not have the necessary score to win? However, you have a margin and are reassured that an additional draw will keep you within the limit of 21? In this case, you have the option to simply draw one more card.
- Stand : If you have a hand you are satisfied with during the final draw, you have the option to stay and discover the continuation reserved for the other participants and the bank.
- Double Inversement du Stand, une alternative s’offre à vous ici. Après réception de vos deux cartes et constatation d’un score insuffisant, vous pourrez multiplier le montant de votre mise par deux afin de maximiser vos gains tout en obtenant une carte supplémentaire. C’est une action qui doit par conséquent être entreprise avec beaucoup de prudence. Inversement du Stand, an alternative is available to you here. After receiving your two cards and realizing an insufficient score, you can double your bet amount in order to maximize your winnings while obtaining an additional card. This is an action that must therefore be undertaken with great caution.
They relate to certain versions of blackjack and are specific to each variant. The following options are the ones you will sometimes come across:
- Surrender It may happen that at the moment of counting, you realize that your chances of winning are reduced or zero. In some versions of blackjack, you are allowed to surrender the game in this case, which allows you to benefit from 50% of your initial bet. This is a good trick to limit the damage.
- Assurance When the dealer has an Ace in his hand, his chances of getting a natural and winning the game are high. In order to protect yourself from this outcome, the casino may allow you to take out insurance for half of your initial bet. This way, even if the dealer manages to get a natural, you will still keep your initial investment. However, if the bank gets a different combination, you will have wasted your 50%.
- Split if a player receives a pair of cards of the same type, they can choose to split their hand. This is an option that is possible if, for example, you have received two '7s', which gives you two hands consisting of a seven and an additional card. However, for this second bet, an extra amount of money is required. It can be beneficial to separate two cards representing your hand, as you can play them separately and if by chance they turn out to be winners, you pocket twice your initial bet.
There are also much more specific rules applied for certain variations of blackjack, especially in physical establishments. That's why it is recommended to familiarize yourself with the rules, especially when playing on an online site. In a brick and mortar establishment, a clarification is usually sufficient. Often, it can happen that the instruction regarding the splitting of a pair of Aces has certain repercussions. For example, you are only entitled to one more card during the next round, and not when you split other types of pairs. If you get a third Ace, splitting will no longer be possible.
It should be noted that even dealers are subject to rules imposed by the casino during a game of blackjack They are obliged to draw if they have a hand of 16, but must stand if they have a 17. In short, if your hand has a value of at least 18, you have a good chance of winning the game. In the case where the dealer's hand burns because they would have gone over 21, all bets are returned to the players, opening the way for a new game.
What does a blackjack table look like?
In principle, a blackjack table should not receive more than seven players. It has an indicator that allows determining the maximum and minimum betting limits. It is possible to divide it into two imaginary parts, one for the players and the other for the dealer. However, regardless of the number of participants in a game, it takes place between you and the dealer.
The first thing that catches your attention at a blackjack table, are the areas reserved for players' chips and others for bets. The area where the cards are shuffled and dealt is exclusively for the dealer. Conventionally, in blackjack, the game is divided into a shoe or a device of 6 or 8 decks. This is a plastic device used for distributing the cards. To learn about the different variants and familiarize yourself, feel free to play our games. free blackjack games they are all without download and without registration!
As soon as the games are over and the player and the dealer have played their hand, the round ends with a simple battle to determine the highest hand, unless the dealer's hand has burned. In the case where the totals of the dealer's and player's hands are identical, a 'Push' occurs. In the case of a 'Push', bets are neither paid nor lost. A natural is the highest hand and its winnings are the highest of all winning situations in a game of blackjack.
In general, blackjack tables have a payout of 3:2, but there are some that give a payout of 6:5 for blackjack. Unfortunately, these tend to favor the house more. The option of insurance allows side bets to have a payout rate of 2:1.
The attractiveness of the game can be increased through blackjack tournaments in which players compete against each other. The winner is the one who, after playing a certain number of rounds, has obtained the most chips. When there are a large number of players and the buy-in is high, the winner of the tournament can walk away with a really interesting sum of money. To win such a tournament, it is not only essential to know the basic strategy, but also to carefully choose the size of each bet (low, high or even all-in). This decision is influenced by numerous factors including the amount of chips the player has, the amount of chips the opponents have, and the position of the players at the table.
Therefore, when participating in a blackjack tournament, it is important to combine both luck and a quick understanding of the rules. A player who engages in this type of competition can ultimately come out as a long-term winner. Unfortunately, online blackjack tournaments are not widespread and are only available in a few online casinos.
blackjack card counting
Card counting is a strategy unique to blackjack and has been the subject of many reviews. A film titled "Las Vegas 21" was even made on the subject. Its concept is simple: if the deck of cards used in the game contains more high-value elements than low-value ones, your advantage over the casino increases. In this case, you can benefit from a long-term positive advantage over the casino. This advantage can often reach 2% or more. Conversely, if the cards are predominantly low-value, the casino's advantage increases. By applying this strategy, you increase your bets when you have an advantage, and vice versa. When the advantage leans towards the casino, you decrease your bets.
In the previously mentioned film, players from the same team are seated at different tables. When a statistical advantage occurred at one of the tables, another player from a different table would receive a secret signal to join the table and place the highest bets. Obviously, the fun came to an end once the casino caught onto the team's scheme.
In card counting, those going from 2 to 6 have a value of +1. The Ace, 10, and face cards, on the other hand, have a value of -1. The remaining average cards 7, 8, and 9 have a value of 0. It is clear, therefore, that the higher the total sum, the higher your bet should be. At the same time, the total sum is divided by a multiple of the remaining decks of cards.
Most often, blackjack is played with 6 to 8 decks of cards. When there are 4 decks remaining, you should divide your total sum by 4. By doing so, you obtain a 'True Count' indicating your current advantage or disadvantage. If the remaining decks to be dealt are fewer while the total positive sum remains the same, your advantage is higher. Each point of the 'True Count' reduces the house advantage by 0.5%. The player therefore has a significant advantage when the 'True Count' is 2 or more.
There are other card counting strategies that differ from each other in the method of counting aces. This card plays a fairly important role in this game, as without aces, it is not possible to have a blackjack and it is awarded in a 3:2 ratio. Card counting is of no interest to a player engaging in video blackjack. Indeed, in this version, all cards are randomly distributed and therefore, each round is played with a new deck of virtual cards. As for live blackjack, like the Evolution Lightning Blackjack Whether in a physical casino or online, it is to some extent possible to use card counting to gain an advantage over the casino.
What steps are casinos taking to protect themselves?
However, it should be mentioned that casinos are strongly opposed to card counting Although it is a legitimate trick to beat the casino, the establishment can decide, when a player is caught practicing this art, to interrupt the game and restrict or prohibit access to the premises for the latter.
In general, casinos protect themselves by using alternative methods, such as card cutting. Practically speaking, this means that out of a total of eight decks, only half of the cards are dealt. The cut card is placed in the shoe, indicating to the dealer that the game will end once the current round is completed. At that point, the cards will be reshuffled. This method significantly reduces the profitability of card counting. The benefits of card counting are highest when approaching the end of the shoe.
Another interesting detail is the fact that card counting loses its significance when the casino uses a continuous shuffling machine, or Continuous Shuffling Machine. As the name suggests, this is an automatic card shuffling device. Once a round is over, the cards that were used are instantly shuffled.
Shuffle Tracking is a less popular and more demanding strategy to manage and reveal by the casino. It is based on the player's good vision and memory. If he manages to remember which cards have been dealt and trace how they were shuffled, he can gain an advantage.
The principle of Shuffle Tracking is just as simple, the player must remember the groups of cards before assigning them a value. At the start of a new round, they decide based on the cards that follow. This strategy can be used, provided that the cards are not shuffled by an automatic device, but directly by the dealer. This is for example the case where human error leads to an inconsistent shuffling of the cards.