Whatever the variation of Baccarat, the objective remains the same. The player must obtain a total of points that is as close as possible to 9. There is no basic strategy to apply in an attempt to win. It all depends on the type of bet the player wants to place at the beginning of the game.
Variants of Baccarat
There are two types of variations in the game of Baccarat:
- The railroad : it is a variant in which the player takes a more active part in the game.
- Mini Baccarat It is another variation of Baccarat that is played in a faster manner, with lower stakes. It takes place around a medium-size table accessible to the general public, unlike the complete Baccarat which is strictly reserved for high rollers and the wealthy.
Terms used in Baccarat
You need to know some baccarat terms to be able to play it easily:
- Baccarat Pit: This is a private area exclusively reserved for potential players to allow them an intimate atmosphere in their game. This pit is really not necessary, as the location where the game of Baccarat takes place is now elevated compared to other casino games.
- Natural : The eight or the nine is the winning point in Baccarat. If the player has a nine, they automatically win the game, unless the dealer also has a nine. If they obtain an eight, they automatically win, unless the dealer draws another eight or nine.
- Stop: the player cannot take any card or at least draw another additional one.
- Tendency : This is the frequency of wins for the player or the bank. It is noted on a sheet provided by the house. The player tries to optimize their chances of winning by following this trend. However, this is not necessarily the case.
- Shoot (or stay): The player is entitled to a third additional card. The possibility of drawing occurs only once, and the rules determining this action are established in advance according to the casinos.
In Baccarat, the player receives two cards. Then, they add up the value of their cards to determine if they have the number that is closest to nine. The scoring is simple. All number cards have the value that they indicate: 1 is worth 1 point, 2 is worth 2 points, and so on.
Furthermore, the Ace is worth one point and the face cards, 0. The total points are calculated as a single digit. If the player has a two and a nine, their total will be 1. If they have a six and an eight, their total will be 4. The ten is worth 0 points, as is any double-digit number. This means that 18 is calculated as 8 points, 17 as 7 points, etc.
As a reminder, the winning hand is the one that has nine points from the first two cards received. And eight is the second best hand. They are called naturals. But only a natural nine can beat a natural eight. Among other things, the player must stop on a six or seven and draw on a four or less to win the hand.
First of all it is necessary to practice, and we invite you to use our free baccarat games To help you get the hang of it without spending a dime. Finally, since there are no specific methods to follow to win at Baccarat, only the way the player bets at the beginning of the game matters. The chance of having the best hand thus relies on this betting strategy. The player can choose between betting on their hand, betting on the bank, or betting on a tie.
The bet on the player's hand
Sometimes called Punto, this type of bet allows the player to bet that they will have the best hand. To win this bet, the player must first have bet on their hand. Then, they must ensure that they obtain the best hand, either by drawing a natural from the first two cards received, or by drawing the best hand. Once these two conditions are met, the player will win the hand on an even money basis and will be paid at 1 to 1. If they had bet on the bank, they lose.
Betting on the bank
Betting on the bank hand is another betting option in Baccarat. If the player bets that the bank wins with a natural or receives the best hand, they will win an equal amount of money on their original bet. A 5% commission needs to be deducted for the bank. This commission for the bank still does not appeal to some players. It does not motivate them to bet on the bank.
Or, a 5% commission is lower compared to the total winnings they can win by betting on the bank. Even with this commission, the house advantage when a player bets on the bank is 1.06% compared to 1.24% for a bet on the player. Indeed, if the player bets $200 on the bank and it wins, they will receive $190 after deducting $10 as the commission. The repayment rate is therefore 95%.
This type of bet is considered the least interesting in Baccarat, although other players may think otherwise. The tie bet pays 8 to 1, but the house advantage is now 14% for each player.